Hackster is proud to partner with AARP Innovation Labs, making a real difference in the lives of the elderly people we cherish and love.
Declining agility and unsteadiness can result in falls with devastating injuries for seniors. Tasks that were previously simple, such as getting out of bed, dressing or performing personal hygiene, may become increasingly difficult to accomplish.
Mobility becomes more challenging as we age, however, with the evolving world of motion technology and inter-connected wireless devices, the innovative community is creating smart solutions for the aging population to remain independent and safe in their own homes.
This challenge invites you to develop a device that assists those with mild cognitive and motor impairments to get themselves as well as their items (like medication, phone or food) from one area to another within their home. When you're healthy, it's hard to imagine that even the simplest of tasks could not be accomplished. For many, this challenge is a daily reality.
Here are a few examples to get your mind thinking:
- Remote controlled home appliances with senior-centric interfaces
- Sensor solutions to light up a hallway or open doors upon human detection
- Voice-activated in-home technologies to fetch objects, like a cane
- Motorized tables that are easy to use and can fit narrow paths
- Robotic assistance like stand-up walkers
- Wearable technology that detects falls
- Monitoring technology with location and alerts for unusual motion detection
Submit projects that showcase your product-ready solution by the end of October and you could be chosen to present your product in the AARP Innovation Labs booth all week at CES 2020 in Las Vegas, Nevada. This will be an opportunity to promote your design, network with the AARP Innovation Labs team and meet with potential future customers and investors.
If you are a start-up with a product that could solve a mobility issue, we want to hear from you too!
In this challenge, AARP Innovation Labs is looking specifically for motivated developers who are passionate about finding ways to enhance the quality of life and mobility with their innovative product designs.
Our judges will pick the best qualifying 12 projects based on the judging criteria outlined in the rules section.
Two of the best projects submitted will be invited to attend (and given booth space!) at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) January 2020. You will be invited to demo your device at the AARP booth all week long.
- All expenses paid travel to Las Vegas, Nevada
- Booth space at CES 2020 to demo product
- Meet AARP Innovation Labs team
AARP Innovation Labs accelerates the innovation ecosystem by working with startups, accelerators and the innovation community to empower people to choose how they live as they age.
Gain reputation points!
Earn reputation points for participating in this contest:
- Submit a project entry: 10 points
- Submit a project entry 30 days before the deadline: 50 points
- Be among the first 10 to submit a project entry: 50 points
- Your submitted project entry wins the contest: 250 points
September 27, 2019 at 9:00AM PT
October 28, 2019 at 11:59PM PT
Winners announced by
November 8, 2019